Low carb pasta. Sounds like an oxymoron. However, similar to the Turkey Zucchini Pasta, the pasta is replaced with a vegetable. I love using spaghetti squash in casseroles because the flavor is not very strong, so it is very easy to form into whatever recipe you would like. I like the Italian-inspired recipes with this vegetable.
Why use spaghetti squash instead of pasta? Well, it depends what you are looking for. Regular pasta does have some health benefits that spaghetti squash does not have, such as folate, niacin, thiamin and riboflavin. The benefits of spaghetti squash are that it contains antioxidants and it is significantly lower in total carbohydrates and calories than regular pasta.
Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti
Makes 4 servings. Requires about 2 hours from start to finish.
1 whole spaghetti squash
2 cups tomato-based pasta sauce
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
2 large egg whites
1 cup fat free shredded mozzarella
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp each: garlic powder, onion powder
- preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- cut spaghetti squash length-wise and scoop out seeds
- place squash face down in a baking pan with a small amount of water on the bottom for 40-45 minutes until soft/tender**
- scoop out insides into a strainer over the sink and press firmly to remove some of the excess water; could also use a kitchen towel. Then pour into a medium-sized mixing bowl
- reduce oven heat to 350 degrees
- beat egg whites in a small bowl and stir in cottage cheese until combined
- add cottage cheese/egg mixture along with pasta sauce and seasonings to the squash and combine well
- pour into a greased casserole dish and top with shredded cheese
- bake for about 40-45 minutes and serve.
**I prefer to use the crockpot so the squash is already cooked by the time I arrive home from work. Just place the entire squash in a crockpot on low for 8-10 hours with about 1/4 cup of water on the bottom. When you arrive home, cut the squash length-wise, remove the seeds, and then start with step 4.
Nutrition Facts for typical spaghetti casserole (same servings size): 395 calories, 9.5 grams of fat (1.5 grams of saturated fat), 890 mg sodium, 56 grams of carbohydrate, 4 grams of fiber, 9 grams of sugar, 23.5 grams of protein