Okay, I know these vegan meat-like recipes sound very weird to a lot of people. Believe me, I grew up with a typical “meat (real meat)-and-potatoes-style” diet, so these recipes were not natural to me at first. But trust me, they are delicious and very similar in texture to actual meat, but much healthier.
Not only are these meatless “meat” balls much lower in total and saturated fat, but there is a gram of fiber PER meatball! Also, unlike many other vegan meatball recipes, there is less sodium. Just give it a try 😉
Another reason to consider this recipe: have you heard the latest on meat? The World Health Organization (WHO) very recently came out with research indicating that intake of processed meats (“any type of meat that is salted, cured or smoked to enhance its flavor or preserve it”) can increase risk of cancer (more specifically colon or rectal cancer). According to the study, intake of just 50 grams of processed meat per day can increase this cancer risk by 18%.
World Health Organization. (2015). IARC Monographs evaluate consumption of red meat and processed meat [Press Release]. Retrieved from http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/pr/2015/pdfs/pr240_E.pdf
Vegan “Meat” Balls
Makes 24 balls. Requires about 50-60 minutes from start to finish.
1 container lite silken tofu, firm
1/2 cup quick oats
3/4 cup vital wheat gluten flour
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp ground sage
2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1. preheat oven to 375 and grease a large cookie sheet
2. sauté onion and garlic in the olive oil over the stove for 2-3 minutes over medium heat; set aside
4. blend tofu in a blender until smooth and transfer to a large mixing bowl
3. add onions/garlic and remaining ingredients and mix well, until a dough forms (consistency is more like cookie dough)
4. roll 24 balls and place on greased cookie sheet
5. bake for 40-45 minutes, flipping balls halfway through
Nutrition Facts for typical meatball (same serving size as above): 80 calories, 3.4 grams of fat (1.1 gram of saturated fat), 80 mg sodium, 1 gram of carbohydrate, 0 grams of fiber, 0 grams of sugar, 3.4 grams of protein