Great meat substitute for pastas or with rice. Can also bake into loaves and cut into slices to have as a “meat-and-potatoes”-style meal.
Why would someone want to eat a vegan roast rather than a regular beef or pork roast? See “what is a plant-based diet?” for some answers!
Moist Vegan Roast
Makes 8 servings. Requires about 60 minutes from start to finish.
1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
½ cup + 2 Tbsp water
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground sage
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp dry, chopped parsley
¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 cup vital wheat gluten flour
- preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit and grease either a cookie sheet or 2 mini loaf pans (shown below)
- blend all ingredients except for the vital wheat gluten flour in a blender until smooth
- pour contents into a medium-sized mixing bowl and stir in the gluten flour
- divide mixture in half and either form loaves to put on the cookie sheet or divide between the two loaf pans and bake for about 40-50 minutes
If you used loaf pans, cut into slices.
6. toss on greased pan over medium heat to slightly crisp the outside. I usually serve over rice with Healthy Request cream of mushroom soup or over pasta with a tomato-based pasta sauce.