Pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pancakes….you can make almost any sweet “pumpkin.” Time to try pumpkin puppy chow! This seasonal snack is just as addicting as the classic puppy chow, but lower in sugar and fat and higher in protein (in a similar way to peanut butter love puppy chow) with the added benefit of vitamin A from the pumpkin.
Pumpkin Spice Puppy Chow
Makes 10 servings. Requires 20 minutes from start to finish.
9 cups rice chex cereal
½ cup chocolate hazelnut spread
½ cup pumpkin (not the filling)
¼ cup plant-oil-based tub butter
1 box pumpkin spice instant pudding
¼ cup vanilla or chocolate flavored protein powder (I used a chocolate flavored whey protein-based powder)
1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- melt chocolate hazelnut spread, pumpkin and butter in the microwave together in same bowl for about 45 seconds, stirring halfway through.
- add rice chex cereal to large mixing bowl and pour chocolate pumpkin sauce over the top
- mix until cereal is evenly coated
- pour pumpkin spice pudding, pumpkin pie spice and protein powder to a large ziplock bag and then add the coated cereal
- seal the bag and shake the bag so the cereal is coated in powder
- scatter on a sheet of wax paper and allow it to cool off and dry
- store in an airtight container
**best when covered/sealed and refrigerated for 1-2 hours
Nutrition Facts: Serving size: 1 cup: 260 calories, 8 grams of fat (2.5 grams of saturated fat), 470 mg sodium, 42 gm carbohydrate (3 carb choices), 2 grams of fiber, 19 grams of sugar, 6 grams of protein
Nutrition Facts for typical puppy chow recipe: serving size: 1 cup: 390 calories, 18 grams of fat (9 grams of saturated fat), 325 mg sodium, 55.5 grams of carbohydrate (4 carb choices), 2 grams of fiber, 35 .5 grams of sugar, 4.5 grams of protein