There is nothing like a warm slice of coffee cake with some steamy coffee on a brisk autumn morning. This cake is extremely moist and fluffy, yet much more nutritious than the average pumpkin coffee cake recipe. I again used Greek yogurt in the icing. I think this is my favorite pumpkin recipe yet.
Healthy Pumpkin Crumble Coffee Cake
Makes 8 servings. Requires about 45 minutes from start to finish.
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp pumpkin spice
¾ cup canned pure pumpkin
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup water
¼ cup veg oil-based butter, melted
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup whole wheat flour
¼ cup canned pure pumpkin
½ cup pecan halves, chopped
¼ cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
¼ cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- preheat oven to 350°F
- sift dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and mix wet ingredients in a separate mixing bowl
- add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined (do not overmix). Batter will be thick!
- pour mixture in a greased 9-inch round baking pan and spread evenly
- add crumble ingredients to a small mixing bowl, and combine using hands until ingredients are blended. This will be thick. Dollop evenly over cake batter.
- place in center of oven and bake for 30-32 minutes. While cake is baking, combine icing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- when cake is done (toothpick comes out clean), spread the icing over the top. I poured the icing into a small plastic bag and cut a small hole in one of the corners to provide a more “clean” look when pouring on top of the cake. This is optional.
Average of 3 popular pumpkin crumble coffee cake recipes: 455 calories, 19 grams of fat (6 grams of saturated fat), 280 mg sodium, 68 grams of carbohydrate (4.5 carb choices), 2 grams of fiber, 44 grams of sugar, 5 grams of protein
Make Ahead Instructions:
Complete steps 2 – 5 and then cover with plastic wrap and set in refrigerator overnight. In the morning, preheat the oven to 350, remove the wrap, and bake for 31-33 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Then drizzle the icing on top.